When the LoveThings are socialising (yes, we get out and about occasionally), we’re often asked what are the top things to do (or avoid!) to get the most out of online dating. So we sat down with a coffee and, after more coffee (and biscuits) boiled our advice down to what we think are the Ten Top Online Dating Tips, or TTODT, for short (please write in if you can tell us how to say that).
So here they are…in no particular order. Let us know what you think:
1. Take time to write a fantastic online profile. Not just an “OK” one, but a FANTASTIC one. Make sure you use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Be honest, be interesting and don’t mislead people into thinking you are something that you are not.
2. Have fun. The most important part when meeting new people is to relax and have fun. When beginning your correspondence by email, be cautious and private, but don’t be overly serious either. Wear a smile when you’re logged in and it’ll shine through.
3. Describe the person that you would like to meet in the greatest detail possible. If you want to meet someone who has never been married with no children, then say so. Otherwise, you will be wasting a lot of time turning people down who you have no interest in. But by the same token, don’t be too fussy, and be open-minded. The type of person you think you don’t want to meet might just be the one…
4. Give a detailed description of your interests, hobbies, likes and dislikes. It is just as important to describe what you like, as well as what you dislike, so you attract someone with similar interests.
5. Update your profile occasionally to keep it fresh. For example, if you just got back from a great holiday where you learned to ski, then write about it.
6. Add a number of different photos to your profile. Your main photo should be a head shot, preferably with you smiling. Other shots are a chance to show yourself in other settings, such as doing a hobby you enjoy, perhaps dressed up at a formal event or even a candid shot at work.
7. Be polite when communicating online. If you are scared to tell someone “no” because it may hurt their feelings, tell them politely that you are looking for a certain type of person with specific characteristics and please not to take it personally.
8. Do not give out personal details such as your real first and last name or telephone early on and definitely do not include these in your profile (they’ll be deleted anyway).
9. Listen to Your Intuition. If something doesn’t feel right to you, it probably isn’t. Either move on or investigate further and proceed with caution. Read, listen, and ask lots of questions.
10. Always meet in a public place for the first time. A good place to meet is for coffee or lunch in a busy place. Make sure you let someone know where you will be and even have them phone you during the date for a safety check or an early escape if needed.
So there you have it! Online dating isn’t rocket science. If you follow these tips, and use your common sense, you’re going to have a whale of a time on LoveThing.
Click here to log in and start putting these tips into practice.